Resources for the Press
Click on each section below to reveal the information.
SECTION 1: Media Kit and Press Releases
- Little Free Library Highlights
- Little Free Library’s Read in Color Initiative
- Little Free Library’s Impact Library Program
- Little Free Library’s Action Book Club
- Partnering with Little Free Library
- Little Free Library Promotes Equity and Inclusion by Bringing Diverse Books to Communities Around the World – October 14, 2020
- Dropbox of images available here.
- Little Free Library promueve la equidad y la inclusión mediante libros diversos en comunidades de todo el mundo – October 14, 2020
- Literati and Little Free Library Team Up to Share Kids’ Books in Austin – September 1, 2020
- City of Albuquerque Partners with Little Free Library on Community Volunteerism – June 30, 2020
- PBS Kids and Little Free Library Team Up for Story-Times this Summer – June 25, 2020
- PBS Kids y Little Free Library Se Unen Para Contar Cuentos Este Verano – 25 Junio, 2020
- Little Free Library Grants 100 Book-Sharing Boxes, Announces First 25 Winners – May 28, 2020
- Little Free Library Presents 2020 Todd H. Bol Awards for Outstanding Achievement – May 18, 2020
- Hallmark Publishing Teams Up with Little Free Library to Give Away 1,000 Paperbacks – May 4, 2020
- 2020 World Literacy Award Presented to Little Free Library – April 21, 2020
- Little Boxes, Big Hearts: New Map Tracks Little Free Libraries Sharing Food and Household Items – April 7, 2020
- Little Free Library Celebrates Milestone 100,000th Library – March 11, 2020
- Little Free Library Celebra su Biblioteca número 100,000 – 11 Marzo, 2020
- Read Well, Do Good: Action Book Club Combines Reading and Community Service – January 29, 2020
- Little Free Library and Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Announce Partnership – January 27, 2020
- Little Free Library Announces New Chair of National Board of Directors – January 7, 2020
- Little Free Library and Foresters Financial Build 77 Community Libraries – December 12, 2019
- Introducing Little Women Libraries! Little Free Library and Sony Pictures Bring ‘Little Women’ Book-Sharing Boxes to 10 Cities – November 26, 2019
- Little Free Library Honoring Native Americans Unveiled at Smithsonian – November 22, 2019
- Action Book Club Announces New Theme: ‘We Are Family’ – July 31, 2019
- Little Free Library Announces New Executive Director – July 17, 2019
- Celebrating 10 Years of Little Free Libraries: Announcing Winners of the Todd H. Bol Awards for Outstanding Achievement – May 14, 2019
- Little Free Library and Candlewick Press Collaborate with Kate DiCamillo to Give Away Customized Book Exchanges – April 3, 2019
- Build Your Own Little Free Library with New How-To Book ‘Little Free Libraries and Tiny Sheds – March 26, 2019
- Little Free Library Announces Big Plans for 10th Anniversary Celebration – March 12, 2019
- Little Free Library Unveils New Action Book Club Theme: ‘Moving Forward’ – January 29, 2019
- Little Free Library Celebrates Milestone 75,000th Library – August 30, 2018
- Little Free Library Announces New Action Book Club Theme ‘Come Together’ – July 30, 2018
- Readers Assemble! Little Free Library and Disney Publishing Worldwide Bring Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War-themed Book-Sharing Boxes to Select Cities – May 10, 2018
- Little Free Library Wins Force for Positive Change Award – March 23, 2018
- Little Free Library Announces New Action Book Club Theme ‘Everyday Heroes’ – January 24, 2018
- Little Free Library Receives Women’s National Book Association Second Century Prize – November 2, 2017
- Little Free Library to Donate 100 Book Exchanges to Police Departments Across the Country – October 17, 2017
- Hudson Elementary Schools to Receive Little Free Libraries, Start Country’s First ‘Health Action Book Club’ – October 5, 2017
- Little Free Library Introduces Patch Program, Founder Todd Bol to Speak at Girl Scout National Conference – September 20, 2017
- Little Free Library Appoints Communications Chief Jeremy Hillman to Board of Directors – July 19, 2017
- Big Fun with Little Free Library at ALA Annual Conference and Exhibition in Chicago – June 14, 2017
- Little Free Library Founder Visits Tempe to Present ‘City of Distinction’ Award – April 18, 2017
- Little Free Library Founder Visits Denver to Present ‘City of Distinction’ Award – April 10, 2017
- Little Free Library Launches Action Book Club – January 25, 2017
- Little Free Library Places 50,000th Library In Santa Ana Thanks to Their Impact Fund – November 4, 2016
- First-Ever Little Free Library Festival a Success in Minneapolis – May 21, 2016
- Little Free Library Honored by the Library of Congress – October 2015
- ‘The Little Free Library Book’ Released – April 2015
SECTION 2: News and Editorial Coverage
What is a Little Free Library?
First, Little Free Library is the name of a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that inspires a love of reading, builds community, and sparks creativity by fostering neighborhood book exchanges around the world.
The organization helps people around the world start and maintain free “take a book, share a book” book exchanges called Little Free Libraries. Most Little Free Libraries are placed in front yards, parks, gardens and easily accessible locations. The Libraries are built to withstand weather of all kinds and hold 20-100 books. Some Libraries are located in coffee shops, in or near restaurants and community centers.
Originally designed to look like a one-room school or a “house of books,” the Libraries rapidly took on a wide variety of sizes, shapes, themes, and other attributes. There is no standard size and shape. Although many businesses and apartments may have had book-sharing shelves for years, the idea of a network of unique structure with stewards, signage, and social support began in 2010.
To be officially called a Little Free Library, a free book exchange must be registered with an official charter sign and charter number.
How many Little Free Libraries are there?
As of March 2020, there are more than 100,000 registered Little Free Libraries in all 50 states and 108 countries. Please see our map for more information.
Little Free Library is a nonprofit organization that inspires a love of reading, builds community, and sparks creativity by fostering neighborhood book exchanges around the world.
The Little Free Library movement:
People worldwide have embraced the idea of Little Free Libraries and in our Hudson, Wisconsin, headquarters, we’re working to strengthen and support them with effective communication channels, programs, events, and partnerships that build on our mission.
How to describe Little Free Library book exchanges:
The correct legal name is three words: Little Free Library. To distinguish between Little Free Libraries and public libraries in the generic sense, most writers capitalize the proper name. Only registered Little Free Library book exchanges may use the title “Little Free Library”; if a book exchange is not registered, it is simply called a book exchange. It is permissible to use the term Little Libraries or just Libraries when referring to any registered Little Free Library book exchange.
SECTION 3: Little Free Library Logos, Trademarks and Service Marks
Little Free Library and/or its affiliates claim(s) statutory and/or common law rights in and to the following trademarks and service marks: Little Free Library and its common variations.
SECTION 4: Little Free Library Photos
The following photos may be used for third-party articles about Little Free Library (click the link to view each photo):
Other popular photo sources include Instagram, Pinterest, Flickr, Google Images (thousands of Little Free Library-related photos, often with links to their sources but few details), local Little Free Library Facebook pages, and blogs. To use photos from these sources, contact the original copyright holder for permission.
For press inquiries, please email Margret Aldrich at email@example.com or Contact Us.