Help us celebrate Little Free Library’s birthday! Little Free Library became a nonprofit on May 17, 2012, launching our journey to make books accessible to everyone. We’re turning our organization’s nonprofit birthday into a week-long celebration May 14-20! Here are four ways you can get involved this week.
1. Share a Book: Celebrate with us by sharing a book in a Little Free Library today! This simple act can spread joy and spark a love of reading. Find a book-sharing box near you by downloading our free Little Free Library mobile app.
2. Make a Gift: Your gift to Little Free Library supports our mission to be a catalyst for building community, inspiring readers, and expanding book access for all through a global network of volunteer-led Little Free Libraries. Donate today!
3. Submit Your Little Free Library Photos: In honor of Little Free Library Week, we want to see photos of your favorite Little Free Library book-sharing box! Submit your photos by using the hashtag #LFLweek on social media to be eligible for prizes. Photos shared on Instagram will be featured in an Instagram wall on this page and may even appear on Little Free Library’s social media or in an upcoming email newsletter. Learn more about the rules and prizes, and get some great photo tips here.
4. Show Your LFL Love: We’ve got some fun graphics and gifs you can download and share on your social media accounts, as well as a sign you can print and hang in your book-sharing box! Download them here.
#LFLweek on Instagram
Download Little Free Library Week Graphics
Click on the images below to download and share on social media. And download a sign for your Little Free Library! (8.5×11 or half sheet)
We will randomly select 25 participants to receive a $50 gift card to Better World Books! To enter, simply post your photo on social media using the hashtag #LFLweek.
Rules of entry:
- Open May 7-20, 2023
- Enter up to 10 photos (one Instagram post can include up to 10 photos)
- A registered Little Free Library must be featured in the photo
- Use the hashtag #LFLweek
- By entering your photo, you give Little Free Library permission to use it.
- Open to all! You do not need to be a Little Free Library steward to participate.
- Show your Little Free Library some love! — Who can resist a cute photo?! We love seeing Little Free Libraries get hugs. And don’t forget to show your cute visitors! If you have permission, we love seeing happy kiddos with books and even cute pups visiting Little Free Library book-sharing boxes. And of course, we’d love to see you in the photo with your library!
- Clean your lens — Before you even take a photo, clean the lens of your camera! This will ensure that the image is nice and clear.
- Take advantage of good light — Avoid shooting directly into the sunlight; this will make your subject very dark. We live in a digital world so don’t be afraid to snap a ton of photos to get the one that’s just right.
- Embrace negative space — The pros say ⅔ of your photo should be negative space. “Negative space” simply refers to the empty space around the subjects of your photo. When you include this empty space, your subject stands out in the photo even more.
- Avoid zooming in — When you zoom in from a distance, your photo can appear grainy, blurry, or pixelated. Instead, take the photo from a distance and crop the image once you’ve taken the photo. We love seeing your whole library with a bit of background! Don’t stand too close to your library when photographing it. Give it some distance for a spectacular feature.
Todd H. Bol Awards for Outstanding Achievement
Little Free Library’s late founder, Todd H. Bol, believed strongly in the power of individuals (and especially Little Free Library stewards) to change the world through acts of kindness.
We hear stories every day of outstanding stewards who repair others’ little libraries; who have created networks of book-sharing boxes; or who work tirelessly to strengthen the sense of community in their area.
Recipients of the 2023 Todd H. Bol Awards for Outstanding Achievement will be announced during Little Free Library week!