Need a book to read? Use your phone to find a Little Free Library near you! We are excited to announce the launch of the Little Free Library mobile application, designed to help readers locate Little Free Library book-sharing boxes in their home communities and around the globe.
The Little Free Library app is available for download now on iOS and Android devices.
The free app makes it simple for users to find and interact with Little Free Libraries, wherever they may be. Key features:
- Search for Little Free Libraries near you
- Create a mapped route to visit specific Little Free Libraries
- Track the Little Free Libraries you visit using check-ins
- Save your favorite Little Free Libraries
- See photos of Little Free Libraries and learn their stories
- Leave messages for Little Free Library stewards (caretakers of the libraries) in virtual guest books
The app also provides resources specifically designed for Little Free Library volunteer stewards:
- Edit and update your library details in real time
- Upload photos of your Little Free Library
- Alert users when your library needs book donations or has just added books
- Post a message for visitors
- Enable a virtual guest book to interact with visitors
“The heart of Little Free Library’s mission is building community and expanding book access for all readers,” said LFL Executive Director Greig Metzger. “A Little Free Library book-sharing box provides the physical connection between volunteer stewards, patrons looking for books and partner organizations that provide support. With the mobile application, it is easier and more convenient to find and support a registered Little Free Library. Greater ease and convenience facilitates community connections, expands awareness and grows book access.”
The Little Free Library mobile app was created in collaboration with the Jed Mahonis Group (JMG) an upper Midwest tech team of developers, designers and project managers skilled at building innovative apps.
“The LFL community has been asking for an app for a long time!” said Megan Hanson, LFL’s Senior Digital Producer. “It’s the natural next step for our popular web map. What’s so exciting is the app empowers anybody with a smartphone to easily find and share books. We really focused on creating a user-friendly map in this first version, but moving forward we aim to make the app even more interactive and fun.”
In celebration of the new app, one lucky user will receive a $500 gift card to LFL’s online store. To qualify, participants must create an account in the Little Free Library mobile app using a valid email address by May 1, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. CST.