We believe that books can inspire you to make the world a better place—starting in your own neighborhood!
In a twist on the traditional book club, Little Free Library’s Action Book Club™ combines reading and community service. Participants read books on timely topics, engage in lively discussions, and take part in meaningful—and fun—group service projects to benefit their communities. This is reading and social engagement at its best.
When Action Book Club members share their experiences online, they help start a ripple effect of positive activity across the country and around the world.
The Action Book Club’s current theme is In Our Nature, which honors the environment, our planet, and how we connect with the world around us. You can also check out the recommended reading lists for our previous Action Book Club themes.
How It Works
1. Assemble your club: Members of your Action Book Club can be friends, classmates, family, a local community organization, or even an existing book club.
2. Read a book: Select a book for your group to read from the Action Book Club’s list of recommendations, or choose a book of your own. Read, enjoy, and discuss it.
3. Take action: Carry out a positive community service project with your group. Select an activity from our list or get creative. (And don’t forget to take lots of photos!)
Action Book Club members share:
- A learning experience and camaraderie with each other
- A group activity that will benefit their communities
- Extra credit: When finished with their books, members may choose to share them in local Little Free Libraries
Action Book Club FAQ
Who should be in my Action Book Club?
An Action Book Club can take many different forms and sizes. You can include kids, adults, or both! Here are a few examples of where you might find members to make up your club:
- Existing book clubs
- School classrooms
- Girl Scout or Boy Scout troops
- Church groups
- Civic groups
How can my existing book club participate?
The Action Book Club is perfect for existing book clubs! By carrying out a “do good” activity, you will add another layer of meaning to your club and make a difference in your community.
How do we get the books we want to read?
There are several different ways to get books for your Action Book Club:
- Talk to your local public or school librarian about requesting enough copies for your group
- Ask your local independent bookstore if they would be willing to donate books to your group or offer a discount
- Check out used books sold online at places like Discover Books
- Share a few copies of the book among the members of your group
- Buy one copy and meet to read it aloud. This works beautifully in elementary school classrooms!
Does every Action Book Club read books on the same theme at the same time?
We’re providing a national theme twice a year, but if our theme doesn’t resonate with your Action Book Club, we invite you to choose one that is more fitting to your group and community. (Find our current and previous themes here.)
Do you have other questions? Contact us.