Read in Color is a new initiative bringing diverse books to Little Free Library book-sharing boxes around the world. Kicking off in the Twin Cities, Read in Color will distribute books that provide perspectives on racism and social justice, celebrate BIPOC and LGBTQ voices, and incorporate experiences from all identities for all readers.
We believe everyone should be able to see themselves in the pages of a book. We also know that books can be a window into experiences that are different from our own. By reading diverse books, we can increase understanding, empathy, and inclusion.
Are you ready to Read in Color?
About Read in Color
Read in Color aims to amplify diverse voices at a grassroots, community level. The program has four key components:
- Read in Color pledge. Little Free Library stewards and patrons worldwide can sign a pledge indicating their commitment to read and share diverse books. Those who sign the pledge will have the option to showcase their commitment on our Pledge Wall and have access to special Read in Color resources.
- Free diverse books. Little Free Library stewards in the Twin Cities can apply to receive shipments of diverse books at no cost when they sign the pledge. We will purchase these books from minority-owned independent bookstores whenever possible. This opportunity will be opened to other locations in the future.
- Little Free Library installations. We will establish new Little Free Library book-sharing boxes filled with culturally relevant books in high-need communities, working in tandem with local partners.
- Recommended reading lists. Our Diverse Books Advisory group—composed of representatives from We Need Diverse Books, The Brown Bookshelf, and more—provides a list of diverse books for children, adolescents, and adults representing Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian American, Muslim, LGBTQ, and other communities.
You can Read in Color and help bring diverse books to every neighborhood! Here’s how to get involved:
- Sign the pledge. Take the Read in Color pledge and receive access to bookmarks, stickers, social media badges, and a Read in Color window cling or sign for your Little Free Library door! In addition, stewards in the Twin Cities metro will be eligible to apply for free diverse book packages.
- Share diverse books. If you’re a steward, share diverse books in your own Little Free Library book-sharing box. If you don’t have a Little Free Library of your own, share diverse books in a little library in your neighborhood. (Find a nearby location using our map.)
- Spread the word. Post about your participation in Read in Color on social media. We’d love to see photos of you sharing books in Little Free Libraries! Use #ReadinColor and tag us @LittleFreeLibrary (Facebook and Instagram) or @LtlFreeLibrary (Twitter).
- Donate. Help us bring diverse books to communities nationwide by donating to Little Free Library.
Join us! When we Read in Color and share diverse books, understanding, empathy, and justice can grow.
Thank you to our partners at Colle McVoy for helping make Read in Color possible.