Apply for an Impact Program Library
Little Free Library provides free book exchanges for places where they can have meaningful impact. These libraries are made possible by direct donations from individuals and organizations to Little Free Library’s Impact Library Program. Additional funding comes from Little Free Library’s sales and registration revenues.
The Impact Library Package Includes:
- A fully-assembled two-story Little Free Library
- Charter sign with registration number
- Steward’s guide of information and resources
- A starter collection of books
- A library post
- Paid shipping costs
Recipients of Impact Libraries Are Asked to:
- Install the library and attach all accompanying signs (charter sign and tribute sign if applicable).
- Add the library to the world map.
- Keep the library in good condition and filled with books for a minimum of one year.
- Submit a photo of the library once it’s installed.
- Produce at least one community activity in the first year of service, such as holding a story hour for kids or a book-centered gathering for your neighbors.
- Respond to requests from local media if contacted. Please be aware that Little Free Library may notify your local media outlets (print, broadcast and online) that you are a recipient of an Impact Program Library.
Who May Apply?
Applicants must reside within the United States or Canada, and the Impact Program Library must be shipped to an address within the United States or Canada. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older, and have regular access to the library’s location. Organizations may also apply; they must identify an individual who will be the primary steward for the library. Note that if the applicant does not own the property where the library will be placed, permission must be obtained before submitting an application. Property owners are also advised that zoning or other restrictions may influence library location.
What Is the Application Process?
- Applicants must complete and submit the form below to be considered for an Impact Program Library. Applications are reviewed by Little Free Library staff on a monthly basis.
- Successful applicants are notified after the application review process is complete, by the end of the following month. For example, if you apply in January, you will be notified of your application’s status no later than the end of February.
- Unsuccessful applicants will be added to the next review cycle. If unsuccessful a second time, applicants may re-apply six months after their initial application was submitted. Successful applicants must also wait six months before applying for an additional Impact Library.
What Are Your Review Criteria?
Little Free Library staff considers the following questions when assessing applications:
- Does the applicant have the motivation and capability to fulfill the requirements of maintaining and stocking the library as well as performing the reading or community activity?
- Will the library be located in a setting that has the potential to be seen and used by a reasonable share of community members?
- What effect will the library have on reading motivation and/or community engagement?
- Will the library serve as a catalyst to bring further Little Free Libraries to the community?
Are There Any Other Opportunities to Receive a Library?
Little Free Library works with a number of organizations and businesses who share our vision of bringing libraries to communities everywhere. Free or lower-cost libraries are sometimes distributed as part of these programs. Selection criteria and follow-up requirements vary depending on the program. Applicants may indicate their interest in being considered for these additional opportunities on the application form.
Impact Library Program Application