Native American Impact Library Program
Thanks to the generosity of Amerigroup, Little Free Library is providing 36 Little Free Library book-sharing packages to U.S Native American communities.
The package includes:
- A fully assembled and painted book-sharing box
- Charter sign with registration number
- Informational guidebook
- $200 worth of books
- A post with mounting block
- Paid shipping costs
Recipients are asked to:
- Place the Little Free Library book-sharing box in a location serving a Native American population
- Add the Library to the world map
- Submit a photo of the Library once it’s installed
- Keep the Library in good condition and filled with books
- Respond to requests from local media if contacted. Please be aware that Little Free Library may notify your local media outlets (print, broadcast and online) that you are a recipient of an Impact Library package
- Provide a written report detailing experiences with the program after one year
What Are the Requirements for Library Location?
This program is intended to support literacy and community-strengthening in Native American communities. Because of this, the Library must be set up on tribal land or in a neighborhood, community center, clinic, or school setting that serves primarily Native American communities, including those in Alaska and Hawaii.
Note that if the applicant does not own the property where the Library will be placed, permission must be obtained before submitting an application. Property owners are also advised that zoning or other restrictions may influence Library location.
Can I Apply for More Than One Package?
Yes! We recognize that some communities are geographically large with multiple population centers. You may request up to three packages. If you are requesting more than one package, you will need to describe how each will be sustained.
Who May Apply?
Applicants must reside within the United States, and the Library must be shipped to an address within the United States. Applicants must be 18 years of age or older. If the applicant is not the person who will manage the Library, the applicant will need to designate the person who will be responsible. Organizations may also apply; again, they must identify an individual who will be the primary steward for the Library.
What Is the Application Process?
- Applicants must complete and submit the form below by January 4, 2019 to be considered.
- Successful applicants will be notified by the end of January.
- Packages will be distributed by the end of February for installation in early spring.
What Are Your Review Criteria?
Little Free Library staff will consider the following questions when assessing applications:
- Will the Library location serve primarily Native American people?
- Does the person who will manage the Library have the motivation and capability to fulfill the requirements of maintaining and stocking the Library (beyond the books provided) as well as the potential to provide additional reading or community activities?
- Will the Library be located in a setting that has the potential to be seen and used by a reasonable share of community members?
- What effect will the Library have on reading motivation and/or community engagement?