If you live in the Los Angeles area and love books, we hope to see you soon! Little Free Library founder Todd H. Bol and friends will host activities at the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, April 22–23. The event will be held on the University of Southern California campus, and you can find us in booth 100, near the main stage.
During the festival, Todd and Los Angeles-area Girl Scouts will build twelve Little Free Library book exchanges. Participating Girl Scouts will earn a badge for their accomplishment, and the Libraries will be distributed locally. These Libraries are made possible through Little Free Library’s Impact Fund, a donation-driven program that places book exchanges where they can truly make a difference.
“The invitation to the LA Times Festival of Books is an honor,” Todd says, “and working with local Girl Scouts to build Little Free Libraries for communities where they can make a meaningful impact is phenomenal. Special thanks to the Girl Scouts across the country who have already built Little Free Libraries to earn their Silver or Gold Awards.”
In keeping with the delightful surprises that can be found within a Little Free Library, an array of activities are planned. Visitors to booth 100 can:
- Enter to win a coupon for a Little Free Library and other prizes.
- See Little Free Libraries being built and lend a hand with their construction.
- Meet the creator of the first Little Free Library, Todd H. Bol, Executive Director of the Little Free Library nonprofit.
- Take a fun selfie with a life-size cutout of F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald.
- Add a book title to the “Books of Understanding” mural, a collection of books that foster greater empathy and compassion.
- Learn how to start an Action Book Club, which combines reading with community service projects.
- See Little Free Libraries on display, including the first one ever built; a Library decorated by artists of The Simpsons; and catalog models.
- Find out how Little Free Libraries can inspire readers, build community, and spark creativity in your neighborhood.
Representatives from AARP Los Angeles will join Little Free Library at booth 100. They will be distributing free copies of their inspiring, community-centered book, Where We Live, while supplies last, and they also will be operating their photo fun booth.