Apply for a Law Enforcement Impact Program Library
Police departments are invited to apply to receive one of 50 standard Little Free Library book exchanges or 50 mobile Little Free Libraries. This opportunity is made possible through a generous grant to the Impact Library Program by the Lawrence Grauman, Jr. Trust.
Update Jan. 2018: All Libraries available for this opportunity have been claimed, and the application has been closed. If you have questions, please contact us.
What’s Included and Expectations of Recipients
The Mobile Impact Library Package includes:
- A collapsible portable Library, ready to be set up as is.
- Charter sign with registration number.
- Informational toolkit.
- Car magnets for police vehicles.
- A starter collection of books.
- Paid shipping costs.
Recipients of Impact Libraries are asked to:
- Add the Library to the world map.
- Keep the Library in good condition and filled with books for a minimum of one year.
- Submit a photo of the Library once it’s installed.
- Produce at least one community activity in the first year of service, such as holding a story hour for kids or a book-centered gathering for neighbors.
Mobile Library: this easily portable Library can be transported to a variety of locations over the course of a day or a week.
Who May Apply?
This application is for law enforcement agencies and organizations in the United State. Others may apply for an Impact Library here.
Please note that if the applicant does not own the property where the Library will be placed, permission must be obtained before submitting an application. Property owners are also advised that zoning or other restrictions may influence Library location.
Persons applying on behalf of a law enforcement agency must indicate that the agency supports the application.
What Is the Application Process?
Applicants must complete and submit the form below to be considered for an Impact Program Library. Applications will be reviewed by Little Free Library staff on a continuous basis until all Libraries are distributed.
What Are the Review Criteria?
Little Free Library staff considers the following questions when reviewing applications:
- Does the applicant have the motivation and capability to fulfill the requirements of maintaining and stocking the Library as well as performing the reading or community activity?
- Will the Library be located in a setting that has the potential to be seen and used by a reasonable share of community members?
- What effect will the Library have on reading motivation and/or community engagement?
- Will the Library serve as a catalyst to bring further Little Free Libraries to the community?