Little Free Library FAQs
Starting a Library
That depends on whether you are building your own Library or buying one from our online store.
- If you are building your own Library, then your main cost is materials. That could range from $5 to $150. There is also one-time payment of about $40 to register each Library that you build. When you register, you get a charter sign engraved with a unique charter number. Your unique charter number gives you the option to add your Library to the world map. You also get access to discounted books and a private Facebook support group. Think about installation costs, too, like a wooden post or hardware. Those items usually cost around $30. Check out our recommended installation instructions.
- If you purchase a Library through our website, then you don’t need to register separately. Your Library will come with a charter sign included. You will still want to think about installation costs, though.
Every Library that we sell through our online store comes with a charter sign and a steward’s packet included. Every charter sign is engraved with a unique charter number. Installation materials, like a wooden post and hardware, are not included. We sell posts as separate product in our online store. We have installation instructions on the Build page of our website.
Your community is full of resources. Use them! Contact a local organization who might build a Library for you, such as:
- Girl Scout or Boy Scout troops
- Local carpenters or artists
- Schools, churches or community centers
- Rotary clubs, 4-H Clubs, Kiwanis Clubs or Lions Clubs
And don’t count yourself out; you can build one even if you’re not handy! Try repurposing something that already has a door and space for books inside. Check out this blog post for ideas.