Little Free Library FAQs
Starting a Library
That depends on whether you are building your own Library or buying one from our online store.
- If you are building your own Library, then your main cost is materials. That could range from $5 to $150. There is also one-time payment of about $40 to register each Library that you build. When you register, you get a charter sign engraved with a unique charter number. Your unique charter number gives you the option to add your Library to the world map. You also get access to discounted books and a private Facebook support group. Think about installation costs, too, like a wooden post or hardware. Those items usually cost around $30. Check out our recommended installation instructions.
- If you purchase a Library through our website, then you don’t need to register separately. Your Library will come with a charter sign included. You will still want to think about installation costs, though.
Your community is full of resources. Use them! Contact a local organization who might build a Library for you, such as:
- Girl Scout or Boy Scout troops
- Local carpenters or artists
- Schools, churches or community centers
- Rotary clubs, 4-H Clubs, Kiwanis Clubs or Lions Clubs
And don’t count yourself out; you can build one even if you’re not handy! Try repurposing something that already has a door and space for books inside. Check out this blog post for ideas.